Add to favorite
 
russian visa
    Kingisepp

Finno-Ugric tribes votes: Vod, Ingria and Chud have lived in the basins of the rivers of Narva and Luga since ancient times. The Slavs began to settle in these places from V-VI centuries. Kingisepp was founded by the Novgorod Boyar Ivan Fedorovich as the Yam fortress in 1384. It has been built in 33 days.

The fortress got its name from the Finnish tribe Yam which has lived on the banks of the Luga River since ancient times. The town is referred to as the town of Yama (1395), Yamsky Town (1397) and Yama-Town (1444) in the chronicles. The city was called Yamburg from 1703 to 1922, in the year 1922 it was renamed as Kingisepp, by the name of the Estonian Communist. The town passed under the jurisdiction of Sweden twice: at the end of the Livonian war, in 1583 (returned to Russia in 1585), then as a result of the Stolbovsky peace treaty of 1617 for almost 100 years. Finally, the town was returned to Russia in 1703 during the Great Northern War. In 1708 Yamburg was passed into the possession of His Highness Prince Menshikov, and after his exile it was transferred to the Treasury. By the Decree of Catherine II Yamburg was given the status of a town.

The fortress of Yamburg was repaired and rebuilt several times. In 1681 Swedes blew up the walls and towers. The fortress virtually ceased to exist, only the citadel survived. In the place of the destroyed walls the Swedes began to build bastions, but did not have time to complete the work by the beginning of the Great Northern War. In the second half of the 18th century they began to dismantle the fortress so that to built presumably a cloth factory. In 1816 the fortress was completely dismantled. Only its high rolls and remnants of walls have survived until our days. In the first half of the 18th century the factories for manufacture of crystal glassware for the Royal Court were built in Yamburg.

And now the town has one of the largest glass factories in the North-west of the country. In the early 20th century Yamburg County was called Baronial - there was a large number of manors of old Russian-Swedish-German noble families. The owners of the estates were the families of Korf, Tiesenhausen, Sievers, Nesselrode, Rotkirch, Weimarn, Block, Traubenberg, Bistrom, Albrecht and others. Some manor complexes have survived until the present day.



Tags:


Region:


City:






Comment on our site


RSS   twitter      submit



Kingisepp
  (Leningrad Region)

Cities of the region

    Pushkin (Tsarskoe Selo)
    Petergof
    Lomonosov (Oranienbaum)
    Vyborg
    Kronstadt
    Shlisselburg
    Sestroretsk
    Gatchina
    Vsevolozhsk
    Kirishi
    Kirovsk
    Luga
    Sertolovo
    Sosnovy Bor
    Tikhvin
    Tosno
    Volkhov
    Boksitogorsk
    Svetogorsk
    Slantsy

History

TAGS:
Russian medicine  Online Exhibitions  Books  ban  Moon   Russian science  freedom of press in Russia  Tanais   Yuri Nikulin  economy  Vasily Lanovoy  "Archimedes" Inventions Salon  Russian economy  Rosa Khutor  Russian society  Russian football teams  Stephen Fry  Republic of Tatarstan  Sobolkho Lake  Vyborg  Moscow  Romanovs  Writers  Perm Territory  Russian drinks  Kozhuhovskaya Line   Painting  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  North Caucasus  Samara Region  Russian Cinema  Mumiy Troll  Nature Reserves  Russian scientists  Ryazan Region  Bugulma  Roscomnadzor  Russian cuisine  Kirill Lavrov  Woodwork  traffic in Moscow  St. Petersburg  Russian oligarchs  Russian mobile operators  VIM-Avia  Exhibitions in Moscow  Russian tourism  Pussy Riot  Russian business  Buryatia 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites