Add to favorite
russian visa

Podolsk was first mentioned in the Russian chronicles in 1627-1628 as Podol village, a patrimony of Danilov monastery of Moscow. Villagers main business was transferring carriages, carts and sledges across the river Pakhra. In the end of 17th century Peter the Great ordered to establish a post unit here. Status of local peasants allowed them to pay lower taxes.

In 1764 a boat bridge across the river Pakhra replaced the ferry, and a large road (Krymsky tract) made the village flourish. The empress Ekaterina II made Podol the town in 1781, and at that time the settlement hosted 856 dwellers. Major occupation of locals was mining of quarry stone and white stone, which later were used for building churches, for instance, the famous Church of Holy Ladys Sign. Podolsks coat-of-arms was created three months later. In 1784 rectangular city plan was approved, and Podolsk acquired 20 quarters. In 1796-1802 the town temporarily lost its significance, however, Podolsk regained it in 1802. In 1812 French troops spent some short time in Podolsk, which was enough to bring great damage to the town. In commemoration of the 1812 War the Troitsky cathedral was built.

Social life in Podolsk flourished during the reign of count Zakrevsky, who was the governor general of Moscow. The count has an estate near Podolsk Ivanovskoe village, which is now part of the city. Simultaneously the town experienced the boom of stone architecture. City park also appeared during these productive years.

Another step towards prosperity Podolsk made when state Warsaw (Brest-Lithuania) highway was built in 1844-1847. In the middle of the 19th century the town covered as much as 106 hectares. In 1866 Moscow-Kursk railway came to the town. In the end of the 19th century Podolsk industry started developing explosively: in 1875 a cement factory opened; in 1900 assembly plant of famous American Zinger company started assembling their sewing machines in Podolsk (actually production of said machines began only in 1903); in 1915 construction of cable manufacturing plant started.

In 1939-1940 artillery and infantry schools for over 3000 cadets opened in the town of Podolsk. In October 1941 the cadets were alarmed and for several days protected the town of Maloyaroslavets the majority died. During the Great Patriotic War (World War II) Podolsk cadets together with troops of 43rd army held the press of Fascist soldiers, thus helping to win time for moving up reserves towards Moscow.

In the mid-fifties projects of Podolsk reconstruction appeared, and active development of the city began. Today Podolsk in one of the largest industrial centres of the Moscow Region with over 10 various industrial enterprises. Local Chamber of Commerce and Industry opened in 1992.

The city acquired trolleybuses in 2001, and currently three city routes make life of citizens and guests more convenient. In 2004 Podolsk gained the status of urban district, and in 2006 the town celebrated its 225th anniversary.




Comment on our site

RSS   twitter      submit

  (Moscow Region)

Cities of the region

    Sergiev Posad
    Pavlovsky Posad


Exhibitions in Moscow  Zheleznogorsk   recession  Elena Kamburova  Lana Del Rey  Russian sports  Hermitage  Vera Zvonareva  Active Travel  Blok  biology  MICEX  Stavropol Territory  Russian fashion designer  Russian Photographers  Novosibirsk  London Olympic Games 2012  Russian scientists  Travel  Moscow Banks  Elections 2012  Russian Monuments  Moscow Kremlin   Film Distribution  Russian awards  Kapustin Yar  Russian social media  Russian Cinema  Chelyabinsk  Vologda  Russian business  Mikhail Bobyshov  Russian economy  Karachay-Cherkessia  Jesus Christ  Novy Arbat  St. Petersburg  Russian science  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Moscow  Archeological Finds  Stanislav Zhukovsky  Folk Arts  Russian tourism  Animation Museum  defense  doghunters  hot to get to Spartak stadium  tours to Russia  Graphic Art 

Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites